Enjoy the healthy benefits of salmon and a jolt of flavor at the same time. When you are searching for a healthy, light summer meal that will not take long to make, salmon is one of your best options. It can be cooked in less than ten minutes, and the high levels of protein and omega-3s that the fish provides are hard to beat.
A variety of spices are used to make this blackened salmon. Paprika and cayenne are the prominent spices, which help achieve the blackened effect. The end result might bring a little heat so if you are not a fan of spicy foods, you might want to tone it down a bit. After the spices get rubbed into the salmon fillets, the fish should marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour, or up to overnight.
After the salmon is done marinating, all that is left to do is to throw it on the grill. If you feel that grilling fish can be tricky (since it has a tendency to flake and fall apart) pan-searing the fish would also be fine. Always err on the side of undercooking the fish, because once it is overcooked there is no going back. Salmon only takes about 8-10 minutes to cook, and then it is ready for the table.
- 2 6-oz. salmon filets, skin-on
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- For the rub
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- For the salsa
- 1 avocado, pitted and thinly sliced
- 4-5 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the dry rub. Rub the olive oil into the fish, and then rub the spices into the salmon. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least one hour, or overnight.
- Meanwhile, stir together all of the ingredients for the salsa. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Grill the fish, skin side up, for 3 minutes. Carefully flip and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until opaque throughout. Top with salsa and serve immediately.
Thanks for making us the fastest growing Paleo site on the internet…we couldn’t have done it without you!