Eat like a caveman? Are you out of your #@^&!&g mind? I’m Italian, this Paleo thing isn’t for me”….Trust me when I say that is the “G” rated version of my immediate reaction when I first looked into the paleo diet. I mean really how could I possibly survive without eating pasta, pizza, veal parmigiano and everything else that I was weened on? Well, to my pleasant surprise this Shrimp Scampi recipe doesn’t taste like anything “diet” and is a dish that I have served to my relatives with rave compliments! So enjoy and mangia!
- 1/2 small spaghetti squash
- 1 lb. wild jumbo shrimp, shell-on
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 cloves garlic (or more!), smashed
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Halve squash, scrape seeds out with fork and discard. Place squash, cut side down, in glass baking dish with one inch of water. Cook roughly 40 minutes, checking half way through. (Squash is done when skin is easily pierced with fork.) Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack, cut side up.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium low heat. Using kitchen shears, cut legs off shrimp and cut slit down back, but leave shell on.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add wine and lemon juice. Cover and let cook over low a few more minutes.
- Scrape out squash with fork and divide into two portions, in two bowls.
- Add shrimp to oil and garlic mixture and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add half of the shrimp to each bowl of spaghetti squash. Top with parsley, fresh pepper to taste and oil from the pan.
Thanks for making us the fastest growing Paleo health site on the internet! We couldn’t have done it without YOU!