I don’t know about you but I can’t think of too many tropical fruits that are better than mangoes. The best ones, however, are in season from April through June This is when the most flavorful mangoes arrive in supermarkets from warmer climates, giving us a taste of what life must be like in the tropics.
While there are thousands of mango varieties all over the world, there are only really two you need to know about. Tommy Atkins mangoes (the green-and-purple skinned ones) are the most common in supermarkets; they’re slightly fibrous and not too sweet. If you’re looking for something a little sweeter, the Ataulfo is what you want; it’s the smaller, orange-skinned mango.
- 1 Ripe mango, (large, cut into chunks (about 1 c))
- 1/2 c Tomatoes (diced)
- 1/2 c Onion (diced)
- 1/2 c Fresh cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsp Juice from 2 limes
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Mix diced mango, tomatoes, onion, and fresh cilantro together in a medium bowl.
- Juice limes over diced salsa.
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well, serve, and enjoy!